Having just returned from seeing eachother for a few days, we’re writing this post to reflect on the time previously where Covid meant that we were forced against seeing eachother for 5+ weeks.
The most recent lockdown for everyone was a struggle to an extent, in one way or another. I know that we were by far the only couple to not feel the effects of the guidelines enforced by the Government - but - if we were in the same situation as those couples who live together/in the same support bubble/live close together where meeting 1 person was ‘allowed’, it inevitably was slightly easier than for us; who didn’t see eachother for the duration (and longer).
However, (although when put in perspective, 5 weeks isn’t the end of the world)..there were things that we did together that made things slightly better, and we thought we’d share them (although I hope they aren’t ever needed again!).
Ways to survive lockdown away from a loved one:
1. Frequent phone/video calls - there’s no loss if you’re stuck indoors anyway!
2. Watching something on TV together each day (whilst on the phone if you prefer!) - we decided that we’d watch “I’m a Celebrity, get me out of here!” together.
3. Movie days/nights (again, with FaceTime on in the background if you prefer) - I’m not the biggest film fan but we did watch ‘The Children Act’ together on BBC IPlayer. I enjoyed it because it was very close to my Law studies, but would recommend it to anyone. It’s still available to watch!
4. Reading the same book - well, I’m still quite a way behind Sam but we’re still going and nearing the end of the first of a collection of Peter James books. I’m surprised at how much I’ve enjoyed doing this (however sad/nerdy it is!) and I think it’s something I’ll persuade Sam into doing regularly!
5. Multi-player games on your phone/iPad - Sam and I found one game in particular - ‘Stop!’ - that we both really enjoyed and could be a time-killer or a competitive battle! Other games we played were ‘8-ball pool’, ‘trivia’, and ‘Battleships’ (all free on the App Store across iOS and android.
6. The old-fashioned, cheesy, ‘letters/gifts through the post’ - a great pick-me-up, particularly if you’re struggling. Comfort items are the best, items that contain photos, or just a handwritten letter can really make your day.
What did you do to help with lockdown? We’d love to hear your ideas too!
Love, Katie xxx